Random Blog

Monday, April 16, 2007

Virginia Tech.....A Horror Of All Horrors!

BLACKSBURG, Va. — A gunman killed at least 21 people in a t least two shootings at Virginia Tech University this morning, campus police and officials said. It is the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman also is dead, although police are not sure at this hour whether he was shot by officers or took his own life. Many more people appear to be injured; Roanoke television station WSLS reported 28 people were being treated at area hospitals. High winds in the area made it impossible to fly emergency medical helicopters to the scene.

I generally don't want to post about the world outside of celebrities but today I have to! Once again the United States has taken a huge blow brought about by the easy access to guns. I am from Denver and
this day takes me back to Columbine. Have we as a country not learned anything from these previous attacks. I have a 17 year old son and just fear for his future. Where can our kids be safe if they can't even be safe at school? This horror, this tragedy, this unspeakable unapprehensible act has once again cast a pall over our country. I today mourn for all the children through the years who have been lost due to our rampant lack of gun control. Now, mind all of you this is my opinion! You are free to share yours, just please be respectful to those have lost their loved ones today and those that have lost their loved ones in the past. Due to this tragedy, I can not focus on dishing out mindless tidbits about Celebs, when we have many many live which will be torn apart because of this horrific act. My prayers, my thoughts turn to Virginia Tech today. A side note: I will
NOT show pictures of or become a part of the massive media which will take over this story. Any TV station or newspaper will take good care of any coverage needed. I will be back later, I just can't post write now. TJ


UPDATE: It is now confirmed that 32 are dead. just want to share with you what President Bush had to say about this: A White House spokesman said President Bush was horrified by the rampage and offered his prayers to the victims and the people of Virginia. "The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed," spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

Again folks this is my humble opinion, but I do not believe when our forefathers created the document which outlines our civil liberties could they have foreseen that GUNS could & would be used to kill in such a horrific fashion. I am sure that if they were alive they would be calling for some sort of gun control in this country. Again, I am sick to my stomach at the senselessness of all of this! Just a little background here: I worked in a small Italian restaurant in Denver near SWAT headquarters. The officers that responded to Columbine would come in to eat. I waited on them. The ummistakeable sadness and horror of that day weighed on them. It was in their eyes, it was in their demeanor as they would walk into the restaurant. It took months for them to laugh, to have a spark in their eye again. Not only does this ruin the families lives of the ones who were on these campuses, but it also affects the police officers and emergency workers as well. So, light a candle for all who have suffered this horrible terrible trauma today. They will need all the strength of the combined to country to get through this one.

No comments: